- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
The words, “across the lake (the lake of Galilee), Gerasenes, a large crowd,” picture us the setting of Jesus’ healing ministry in Chapter 5. Jesus healed;
A demon-possessed man whose name was Legion. This man was chained on his hand and foot. (V1-20),
A woman who was bleeding for 12 years. (V 25-34), And Jess raised a Jairus, a daughter of synagogue, from dead. (V35-43).
Jesus healed the sick differently, by speaking, “Come out of this man, you evil spirit,” “your faith healed you,” “Get up.” The people were astonished at his power and authority in healing.
Jesus’ healing ministry revealed who he was, the Messiah who was prophesized by Isaiah and Jesus proclaimed it himself in Luke 4:18-19,
“The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
because he has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
and recovery of sight for the blind,
to set the oppressed free,
to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”
- Ask yourself, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?”
- Live it out through the day.