- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Jesus predicted his transfiguration in verse 1.
Transfiguration (v 2-13) — Six days after Jesus predicted his own Passion, he went up to mountain top and was transfigured. Three disciples saw glory in dazzling white, heard the voice that affirmed Jesus’ identity, which was the same voice when Jesus was baptized (1:11), and they experienced the power of transfigured Jesus. Two figures, Elijah, Moses, represented each the Prophet and the Law. Jesus is the Messiah who fulfilled these two. This mountain top experience with glory and power was completed when Jesus and three disciples went down the mountain through Jesus’ suffering, death and resurrection. This is the way how we know the power of the kingdom of God by experience in Christian life.
Healing a man of deaf and mute (14-29) — “why couldn’t we drive it out?”(v28), disciples asked Jesus when they saw Jesus healed a boy with an evil spirit and suffered dead and mute. “This kind can come out only by prayer,” (v 29) Jesus answered them. Prayer demonstrates our reliance on God who heals.
Jesus predicted his death and resurrected (v30-32) —- Jesus as the Messiah knew who and why he was, but his disciples didn’t understand him, and they were afraid to ask him.
Teaching of the ways of living in discipleship (33-50) —- Disciples are those who follow Jesus, denying oneself and taking up one’s cross. There are specific feature of life living in discipleship; being humble, living with the power of the name of Jesus, servanthood, purity in heart, living as salt of life, living in peace.
- Ask yourself, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?” “How is my prayer to God?
- Pray God that the God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth.
- Live it out through the day.