- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Today’s Scripture—Luke 4:1-30
The Temptation of Jesus (1-13) —- The temptation of Jesus is recorded in three Synaptic Gospels (Matthew 4:1-11, Mark 1: 11-12, and Luke 4: 1-13), and in Hebrews 4:15. Jesus’ staying in the wilderness for forty days connected to Israel’s history of experiencing God in the wilderness; Moses’ forty days on the mountain(Exodus 34:28), Elijah’s forty days in flight to the mountain of God(1 Kings 19:4-8), and Israel’s forty years struggle in the wilderness. So was Jesus’ forty days in the wilderness for him to shape his calling, mission from God. Led by the Holy Spirit, it was the time of solitude, retreat before he began his public ministry.
The temptation by devil was related to Jesus baptism. At his baptism, Jesus’ identity, integrity, and relationship to God was confirmed (3:21-22), which were all needed to Jesus for his ministry. But devil tempted Jesus to compromise it with self-centered power, control, and fame. Temptation is so deceptively attractive. But Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, was armed with Scripture. The devil left Jesus the opportune time.
The beginning of Jesus’ public ministry (14-30) —– Jesus revealed his messianic role fulfilling prophet Isaiah’s prophecy in Isaiah 61:1-2. Luke 4:18-19 is Jesus’ mission statement as Christ, God’s servant, who would bring to reality the longing and the hope of the poor, the oppressed, and the imprisoned.
“Widow in Zarephath” (1 Kings 17:8-16) and “Naaman the Syrian” (2 Kings 5:1-19) were to two figures representing gentiles who would be healed by Jesus. This remarks enraged Jesus’ home town people, Jewish, and they tried to throw Jesus down the cliff.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Ask yourself, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?”
- How do you resist when temptation comes to you?
- Pray The Lord’s Prayer, meditating on Jesus’ temptation.
- Pray God that the God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth.
- Live it out through the day.