- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Luke 12:35-59
The context of this section are two, the passion of Christ, going to Jerusalem to be suffered and to die on the cross, and the return of Christ, his promise to return. The dynamics of parables and message of this section can be understood with these contexts.
Watchfulness (35-48) —- The words addressed to different group, to all disciples (35-40) and to Christian leaders (41-48). Two images of girded loins and burning lamps were symbol of servants who kept watchful and ready to serve. The Jewish night had four watches, the first (9 P.M., the second (12A.M), the third (3 A.M.) and the fourth (6 A.M.). The message of watchfulness can be outlined into two; calculating the Lord’s return is inadequate and inappropriate motivation for Christian behavior, and accountability to God (servanthood, faithfulness, watchfulness for the return of Christ) is in balance with levels of leadership.
Not peace but division (49-59) —- A disturbing passage like this can be misunderstood by out of context or by misleading. The context of Jesus going to Jerusalem to his passion invites disciples to respond to the moment or occasion of truth and decision about life. Jesus is making a difference even within families, and peace in the sense of status quo is going to be disrupted at this moment of decision. Baptism symbolizes Jesus’ passion, and fire judgement, purification, and the Holy Spirit. The message in verse 58 is an eschatological invitation—give your life before God now, making your relationship with Jesus, your advocate, now before you stand on the judgement of God.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer…
- Ask yourself, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.