- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Luke 20
Beginning chapter 20 recorded Jesus’ ministry in Jerusalem and its temple.
The question of Jesus’ authority (1-8) —- The question of religious leaders to Jesus was about his divine authority. They could not answer to Jesus’ question to them about John because of their unbelief about John. So Jesus did not answer to their question because he knew that they would not believe in him.
The parable of the Tenants (9-20) —- This parable had inner connection to the question about Jesus’ authority, revealing who Jesus was. The parable is self- explanatory. The owner of the vineyard is God. Servants are prophets. Son is Jesus. Tenants are people of Israel, specifically religious leaders. Hearing this parable, the teachers of the law and priests looked for a way to arrest Jesus.
Paying taxes (21-26) — Jesus’ answer, “give to Caesar what is Caesar’s, and to God what is God’s,” is not talking about church and state, civil duty to nation and Christian duty to God equally. Its message is to warn against rendering to Caesar what one should rightfully give only to God.
Question about the resurrection (27-40) — The Sadducees did not believe in resurrection. They quoted Levirate Law in Deuteronomy 25:5-6 and questioned Jesus about resurrection. Life comes from the living God, so does life after death. The resurrection is the gift of the living God to those who accepts God’s gift. They are children of God (v36).
Whose Son is the Christ? (41-47) —– Jesus revealed himself as David’s son and the one whom David called my Lord as it said in Psalm 110:1. Jesus is both human, born in the line of King David, and divine, the messiah, Lord, Savior.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.