- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Acts 11
The Holy Spirit led the people to lay a foundation upon which the beginning of new church is going to be built to go to the end of the earth.
Jews and Gentiles — By the testimony of Peter from his vision and voice from God, Jews exclaimed that “So, God has granted even the Gentiles repentance upon life.” (v18) The gospel was preached by scattered believers. The hand of the Lord was with them. Like a wildfire, it ignited in Jews and Gentiles, burning the barrier between them.
New church in Antioch — The church in Antioch, Syria, was the second church after the church in Jerusalem. Antioch in Syria was a gate to the Asia Minor by the sea and by the land. For the first time the believers in Antioch was called “Christians.” Believers in Jerusalem were called people who followed the Way. Now new name was given to them in Antioch. Later, Antioch church became a mission post in conjunction with Jerusalem church.
Barnabas —- Hearing the news about Antioch church, Jerusalem church sent a man named Barnaba, meaning Encourager,” who was full of the Spirit and faith to encourage the believers in Antioch. With Saul, later Paul, Barnaba became mission partner.
New history of the church just began.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray for your church for the Holy Spirit to fill the heart and mind of people.
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.