- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Acts 13
Mission Map — Read the passage with this map
Luke recorded in chapter 13 the story of the beginning of missionary journey.
The Holy Spirit — Mission was the work of the Holy Spirit, setting apart people, sending them, empowering them to speak boldly about Jesus Christ, and confronting the deceit of sorcerer.
Missionaries — Barnabas, Saul whose name was changed to Paul, and John Mark joined them later but he returned Jerusalem in the middle of mission journey.
Mission route — Antioch church commissioned Barnabas and Paul. They went to Cyprus, Pisidian Antioch.
Mission work — Paul confronted Elymas his deceit and trickery. Paul spoke at synagogue on Sabbath to witness Jesus Christ, the fulfillment of God’s promise through the history of Israel.
His message, “through him everyone who believes is justified from everything you could not be justified from by the law of Moses,” (v39) stirred Jews with jealousy. But Gentiles were pleased with the message. Paul and Barnabas were expelled by Jews but the word of the Lord spread through the whole reign and the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.