- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Acts 18
Read with map of the second journey.
Read with map of the third journey.
Ending of the second missionary journey and began the third,
What was happening at Corinth? Luke recorded fruitfulness in Corinth.
A Jewish couple – Aquila and Priscilla became Paul’s mission partners.
Paul’s vision — The Lord strengthened Paul in his vision.
A year and half — Paul taught at Corinth for a year and half, long stay at one place compared to his other journey.
Fruitfulness in number — Many people believed. In his letter Paul wrote, “For in him you have been enriched in every way — in all your speaking and in all your knowledge— because our testimony about Christ was confirmed in you.” (1 Corinthians 1:5-6). Corinth was a seaport city with diversity. The Corinthian church was a dynamic church in life.
Luke recorded a brief story about Paul’s return to Antioch from his second missionary journey (v 21-22), and beginning of his third missionary journey (v23)
Introduction of Apollos —- He was a Jewish apologist teaching well about Jesus Christ. He was invited to teach at Corinthian church by Aquila and Priscilla. He was a great teacher, proving the Scripture that Jesus was the Christ. However, Luke recorded about him, “he knew only the baptism of John.” (v.25). He knew Jesus Christ by knowledge only.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Reflect on this statement, “ we know Jesus by head and heart.” What does it mean to you?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.