- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Acts 19
Read with map of the third journey.
Great things happened in Ephesus.
Paul stayed at Ephesus shortly during his second missionary journey, and he said, “I will come back if it is God’s will.” He returned back to Ephesus and stayed about two years and half during his third missionary journey.
Two elements of baptism — Repentance and empowerment are the work of God through baptism. These disciples in Ephesus only knew the baptism of repentance before Paul baptized them in the name of Jesus. The United Methodist Church follows these two in baptism,
“(name), I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit work within you, that being born through water and the Spirit, you may be a faithful disciples of Jesus Christ.”
Conversion — The power of the Holy Spirit spread among the people as Paul taught about the name of Jesus, did miraculous healing, exorcism. The people felt fear and awe for God did through Paul, and they confessed their evil deeds. A drachmas was a silver coin worth about a day’s wage at that time.
Organized riot —- Paul confronted the idol, Artemis, by teaching that “man- made gods are not gods at all.” Artemis was a goddess of fertility, carved female figure with many breasts. A large statue of Artemis was in the temple at Ephesus, which was one of the wonders of the ancient world. The festival of Artemis brought into business to the people of Ephesus, involving wild orgies and carousing. The religious and commercial life of Ephesus was centered around this pagan deity. Paul’s confrontation against this agitated organized riot.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Reflect on this question, what kind of paganism do you see today?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.