- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read John 2
John records that Jesus began the first two public ministries after three days when he called his disciples.
Miracle at Cana (1-12) —- At a wedding at Cana in Galilee, Jesus turned water to wine. Jewish family provided water following purifying ceremonies of Jewish law, which was required for cleaning the feet on entry to the house, and also for handwashing before a meal. Wine was essential for Jewish wedding feast. Without wine there was no joy in wedding. Turning water to wine means that Jesus was the Son of God who brought new life, turning lifeless law to life full feast with joy, a sign of messianic power that led his disciples to have faith in him.
Cleansing the Temple (13-25) —- Have we imagined angering Jesus? John recorded that at Capernaum with his family on Passover, Jesus made a whip to drive all animal sellers and money makers at the entrance of the Temple. Why did he do it?
For Jews animal sacrificing offering was required for atonement. Jesus saw, however, act of injustice and abuses among marketing people at the Temple, in the expense of the poor and humble pilgrims. Jesus was flamed with anger, “You turn my father’s house into a market.”
“destroy this temple, and I will raise it again in three days,” is understood a new church, not just physical building, but spiritual building for worship God through his body, death and resurrection. The disciples understood this in three years after Jesus rose from the dead.
John recorded these two ministries of Jesus to show that Jesus was the Song of God who gave new life and opened new way how to worship God. And John invited his readers to believe in him.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.