- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read John 3
John witnesses, in chapter 3, that Jesus Christ is the Son of God who gives life.
Nicodemus called Jesus, Rabbi, Jewish teacher. He was a Pharisees, a member of Sanhedrin. He knew Jesus from Jewish perspective as miracle performer. John the Baptist call Jesus, the Christ, the one from God, the son of God. Jesus himself revealed that he was the Son of Man, a messianic figure from the Old Testament (Ezekiel), the Light sent by God.
Born again is a spiritual birth from above, God. It is the gift of God we receive through water (cleansing, repentance), and the Spirit(empowerment), two signs of baptism. Eternal life is God’s life that is embodied in Jesus Christ. It is a quality of life living in relationship with Jesus Christ eternally. And it is given to all believers as the gift from God. John 3: 16 is Jesus’ answer how to accept eternal life, “whoever believe in him.”
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.