- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read John 7
Controversy on “Is Jesus Christ (Messiah)?”
Jesus went up to Judea during the Feast of Tabernacle. It is one of Jewish festival, remembering that God had provided in the wilderness during journey to the promised land, lasting for seven days. “The Lord said to Moses, “say to the Israelites: on the fifteenth day of the seventh month the Lord’s Feast of Tabernacles begins, and it lasts for even days.” (Leviticus 23:34)
There was controversy among Jews on who Jesus was, based on their own understanding.
Some said Jesus was a good man, or a prophet. Some said Jesus was Christ, Messiah because he did miracles. Other said Jesus was not Christ because Christ would come from King David’s family and from Bethlehem.
Teaching in the temple court, Jesus revealed himself that he was not on his own but he was sent by God. His teaching was the teaching of God. He was sent to do the will of God. And he would go to God who sent him.
“The right time for me has not yet come: for you any time is right.” (v.6). His time means the time of glory fully submitting his will to complete God’s will through his suffering, death on the cross. This time has not yet come. “fFor you any time is right,” means the time to repent and believe in Jesus as Christ, Messiah.
Jesus revealed himself that he was the Christ, Messiah, who gave life.
“If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him.” (v38)
Who is Jesus to you?
Come and believe in Jesus so that you can live alive drinking the streams of living water from him.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.