- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read John 8
Life – saving not life – condemning (1-11) — The teachers of law and Pharisees were not sincere in asking the question, quoting Old Testament about adultery (Leviticus 20:10; Deuteronomy 22:22). They tried to trap to accuse Jesus. The point Jesus made was saving life in contrast to the teachers of the law and Pharisee whose point was preserving the law for its own sake.
“I am” statement (12-20) — There appears twenty-nine times of “I am” statement in the Gospel of John, and twenty-six of them are spoken by Jesus. Jesus made seven declarations of “I am,” bread, light, door, good shepherd, resurrection and life, way, truth and life, and vine. All symbols are related to life. Jesus came to give life, to save life, and to enrich life.
Warning to unbelievers (21-30) — “if you do not believe that I am the one I claim to be, you will indeed die in your sins.” (24). The death in this passage means no life of God, same death of Adam and Eve’s when they ate the forbidden fruit in the Garden.(Genesis 2:17). The judgement of not believing is alienation, separation from the life of God that Jesus gave. Sin is not believing Jesus as he claimed to be.
Truth set you free (31-59) — what is truth that Jesus talks about? It is about who he is, as he claims himself to be, coming from God, doing the will of God. “he who belongs to God hears what God say,” (v.47), is the one who has living relationship with God in Jesus, and he/she hears what God says. To know the truth is the way living in free for us to live by the love, grace, mercy and forgiveness of God through Jesus Christ.
Believing in Jesus and have life.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.