- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read John 15
Farewell Speech on the way to the Mount Olives (1)
Jesus and his disciple left the place where they had Passover meal, heading to Kidron valley, located between Jerusalem and the Mount Olives, a garden of Gethsemane. Chapter 15-17 are collection of Jesus’ farewell speech before he was arrested. His entire farewell speech, John 13:31-17:26 is the longest speech with interruption in the entire Gospel. It is Jesus teaching for us to live as disciples today.
Jesus teaches the pattern of the believer’s life.
Union with Jesus— “Remain in me.” Jesus and his disciples must have walked along the fruit farm land, pointing at the vine and branches with fruits. Union with Jesus is living relationship to him, actual incorporation, and it is the life that can bear fruit, through prayer, loving obedience, results in joy.
The relationship of believers to one another — “Love one another.” By the love of his own death, Jesus commanded us to love each other. Fellowship with Jesus, bearing life, and prayer are all dependent on obeying Jesus’ command to love.
The believer’s relation to the world —- “you are not of the world.” Jesus predicted that the world would hate the believers because they belonged to him. It was the sign of union with him, living the life of bearing his name, his teaching. Jesus called all believers to witness to him in the power of the Holy Spirit.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.