- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read John 17
Farewell Speech on the way to the Mount Olives (3)
Chapter 17 is Jesus’ final farewell speech in the form of prayer, known as Jesus’ High priestly prayer. His prayer falls into three parts.
Jesus’ prayer for himself (1-5). The hour of Jesus’ obedience into death has come. “Glorify” indicates the completion of God’s will through him, granting eternal life for all through knowledge of God and His Son. His death was glory of God, restoring the glory which was existed in the beginning.
Jesus’ prayer for his disciples (6-19). Jesus prayed for preservation of his disciples after he left them in the world. He prayed for joy, for victorious over the evil, and for fulfilment of their mission, for their sanctification in the world.
Jesus’ prayer for all believers, church universal. (20-26). Jesus prayed for all who would follow him that they would be indwelt by the Father and the Son, that they might be united in love, so that the world might believe in God.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.