- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read John 20
Witnesses to Jesus’ resurrection.
Jesus rose from the dead on the first day of the week, the first day after Sabbath.
John recorded witnesses to the resurrection of Jesus.
Mary Magdalene first saw the stone had been removed and the tomb was empty. Then she told Peter and he saw the strip of linen lying in the tomb with no body of Jesus, then other disciples too saw that the tomb was empty.
Risen Jesus witnessed to his own bodily resurrection when he appeared to Mary Magdalene and to his disciples, talking with them, offering them peace, and showing them his hands and sides, empowering them with authority to do what Jesus did, redemptive work of God. “He breathed on them.,” (v22). His breath was a new life, God’s life as God breathed into the first man in Geneses 2:7.
The disciples believed the resurrection of Jesus when they saw the risen Jesus. But the more blessed were those “who have not seen and yet have believed.” Because they were people who believed what Jesus said while he was still in the world, “I am the resurrection and the life.”
“He who believes in me will lives, even though they die; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?” (John 11:25-26). Jesus prophecy was completed by his own resurrection.
John concluded with his purpose to write for readers believe that “Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing in him they may have life in his name.” Life-giving, life-saving, life-healing, and life eternal from Jesus Christ is undergirding theme of the Gospel of John,
Believe in Jesus and have life.
Do you believe in Jesus?
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.