- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read John 21
Epilogue (Appendix) — A post-resurrection of Jesus.
John witnessed that Jesus appeared to his seven disciples in the Sea of Tiberias, also called sea of Galilee, after his resurrection. This was third time. The first was in the evening of the same day of his resurrection. Second time was eight days after his resurrection.
Why didn’t disciples stay with Jesus after his second time appearance.” We don’t know. John recorded the story of seven disciples who was fishing together at the Sea of Galilee by Peter’s suggestion. At first they didn’t recognized Jesus before the disciple whom Jesus loved said it was the Lord.
Jesus’ feeding of seven disciples was a prelude to his command to Peter. The triple question, Do Simon son of John, do you love me?” was recalling of Peter’s triple denial, “I don’t know him.” (John 18:15-27). The first and second question Jesus asked of love was agape, unconditional, sacrificial love, and Peter answered with philia, brotherly, friendly love. At third time, Jesus asked him of love as philia, and Peter answered him with philia.
Jesus’ love command to Peter by following him means continue to do Jesus’ ministry until Jesus returned, the second coming. Jesus calling him to follow in verse 18 indicated that Peter be matured in discipleship, submitting himself completely to the leading Spirit of God, even to his death, total discipleship.
Who wrote the gospel of John? It was the disciple whom Jesus loved, John. (v.24).
“We know that his testimony is true,” (v.24) is confirmation by the church where the gospel of John was written.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.