- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Romans 7
The law, sin, death, freedom, and grace.
Apostle Paul writes analogy of marriage relationship to explain Christian freedom from the law. The law here refers to God’s commandments in the Old Testament. As death ends a marriage relationship and frees a person to remarry, so Christ’s death to complete all requirement of the law and believers’ sharing in it by faith has ended their relationship to the law, binding requirements, and freed them to belong to Christ.
Apostle Paul did not nullify the law. The law is good and holy, at the same time the law points what sin is, “through the commandment sin might become utterly sinful.” (v13).
The law not only makes us conscious of sin but also it incites to sin, which leads to death. What is good makes human more sinful than they would otherwise be. Apostle Paul make a point that the law has limitation and cannot make us be righteous nor free us from sin. Only God can through Jesus Christ by his redemptive death on the cross. Therefore, it is by his grace that we are freed and justified.
Apostle Paul writes reality of human condition, the inner conflict. Though we are freed from the law of sin, we are still in struggling inside with sin, which is human reality, “what a wretched man I am.” (v.24). Two laws conflict inside, the law of sin and death, and the law of God. Even though we are justified by God, freed from the sin, we still are struggling with the power of sinfulness inside. He acknowledges it as reality, real struggling inside even to believers.
What is the answer to the reality of living in both as slave to God’s law at the same time as slave to the law of sin? “Who will rescue us from this reality?”
“Through Jesus Christ our Lord.” Answer is the grace of God through Jesus Christ.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.