- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Romans 8
Life through the Spirit.
Apostle Paul summarizes all his teaching in chapter 1-7, with connecting word, therefore, to show the life in the Spirit.
No condemnation — The redemptive death of Jesus set us free from the law of sin and death, completing all requirement of law. Because the spirit of God lives in you, you are no longer controlled by the spirit of sin. Our sinful nature put to death with Christ and we live alive new life with Christ by his resurrection.
Children of God — God called us to be children of God by adoption, and we become the heirs of God, joint heirs with Jesus Christ. Because God restored our relationship, and we called God, Abba, an intimate term to call father.
Living in hope —- We are groaning while we are living in body but with hope that our body will be fully redeemed. Also the spirit of Jesus helps us with interceding prayer according to the will of God. This assures us that we are not alone in our groaning. Therefore, our assurance is that God makes all things for the good of those who loves God and those who are called by the purpose of God. Our weakness is sustained by the Spirit’s intercession and by the knowledge of God’s loving purpose.
Undying love of God —- Apostle Paul eloquently concludes the first half of the book of Romans, chapter 1-8, with a flurry of questions so that he can bring the high point of his answer, the love of God. To be a Christian in the first century, which was the context of the book of Romans, was both difficult and dangerous. The lists that Apostle Paul made in v.31-39 are universal challenge for Christians. But his answer is “Nothing in creation can separate us from the love God in Jesus Christ.”
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.