- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Romans 9
God’s sovereign Choice. Sovereignty of God.
As a Jew, Apostle Paul speaks about God’s choosing Israel and Israel’s unbelief.
Why did God choose Israel?
Responsible privilege of being Israel is that they are God’s chosen people, adopted as sons and daughters of God. They are divine glory. They have covenant of God, receiving the law, having temple worship and promises. God called them “my people,” out of God’s sovereignty. Same God also chose gentile for God’s purpose and for God’s glory. God’s choice or election is not limited to Israel.
Some ask question, “why does God still find fault if no one can resist God’s will? It is by mercy of God, like a potter has a right to make potteries with same lump clay for beauty and another for menial use. Wrath, mercy, patience of same God is the riches of God’s glory.
Israel’s unbelief brought in God’s wrath. Israel pursued a law of righteousness but could not because they pursue it not by faith but by work. Apostle Paul sees Israel’s unbelief by attempting to achieve righteousness by doing the law rather than receiving it from God through Christ who fulfilled the law.
The stone is a symbol of God’s help, but if neglected it becomes an instrument of judgement.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.