- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read 1 Corinthians 1
Context — Corinth was located near the center of the Roman province of Achaia in one of the most important cities of Greece. It was a seaport city, wealth from international trade, rich in diverse culture. The temple of Aphrodite, goddess, owned slaves, and women for sex and entertainment.
Corinthian Church — Apostle Paul established the church in Corinth during his second missionary journey (Acts 18:1-4). He wrote 1 Corinthians during his third missionary journey while he was in Ephesus (Acts 19:1-40). The Corinthian Church was rich in faith, spiritual gifts, and knowledge. At the same time, the church has problem, ethical and doctrinal, and it disturbed the whole church. Apostle Paul wrote his concern about it in 1 and 2 Corinthians.
Apostle Paul wrote three elements of the Church. The church is called to be sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be holy (set apart for purpose, different) for Christ Jesus, and call to be in fellowship with Christ Jesus.
Division was one of problems in Corinthians Church. The church was divided into four group. Paul said that church should not be divided as Christ should not. Their division was caused by their arrogance following the wisdom of the world. Christ crucified is foolishness, weakness to the wisdom of the world, but it is the power of God, giving strength and unity to the church and to the world, bringing godly wisdom, holiness, and redemption.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.