- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read 1 Corinthians 11
Head covering and Lord’s Supper in Corinthians church.
Apostle Paul addressed two matters related to public worship at the Corinthian church— women’s covering head during worship and the Lord’s supper.
Why should women cover their head at worship? It should be understood by their cultural context and commonsense they practiced. Covering the head was a sign of nobility, integrity among women at that time, contrast to street women who did not cover their head. “Man is the head of woman,” “woman is the glory of man,” was Apostle Paul’s theological understanding based on Creation story in the book of Genesis. His point was mutuality (v.11-12) rather than hierarchical relationship between man and woman.
Administration of the Lord’s Supper (Holy Communion) at Corinthian church was uniquely contextual, compared to nowadays. The Lord’s supper at Corinthian church was like Love Feast with meal, or like potluck luncheon. Some ate too much food and drank too much wine while some remained hungry. Or some prestigious people came first while the poor came later with remained food. Apostle Paul pointed out their problem at their Lord’s Supper celebration— disorderly done— therefore there was no sacramental element in their Lord’s Supper, nor love and compassion among them, which he said, unworthy way, “A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup.” (v28).
To know the difference between contextual, cultural element, which is changing, and the divine message, which is unchanging in the passage is very important point when we read the stories in the Bible.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.