- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read 1 Corinthians 12
Church as the Body of Christ.
What makes the church to be united? How are church members to relate each other?
To the Corinthian church that faced division and conflict, Apostle Paul answered the questions.
The Holy Spirit — It is God the Holy Spirit that unite the church. Unity and diversity are two dynamic within the church. One and same Spirit works through the church — giving diverse spiritual gift to each member accordingly so that the church can be built up. The spiritual gift, by definition, is the manifestation of the Holy Spirit, the work of the Holy Spirit through each members. The real test is whether the gift comes from the one God and contributes to the common good.(v.7)
The church —- The church is the Body of Christ. The head of the church is Jesus Christ and each member is a part of the body. Organic relationship is revealed between the head and the body part, and among different body parts with mutual care, compassion, and equal concern, so that the body stay strong and healthy.
Church unity is the work of the Holy Spirit when members(body parts) lives in organic relationship.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.