- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read 1 Corinthians 13
The most excellent way.
Chapter 13 is the conclusion of chapter 12, regarding spiritual gift, “But eagerly desire the greater gifts. And now I will show you the most excellent way.” (12: 31)
Love is the most excellent way of all spiritual gift. Love in chapter 13 need to be understood in its context, Corinthian church. Apostle Paul still discuss spiritual gifts (12:1-11), and the greatest gift of all is love.
This love is not love in general sense or ordinary but it is the love that is known within the church, the very love of God poured out in Jesus Christ. This love is not merely a feeling to emotion but it is embodied with willingness to act.
This love is a sign of maturity, growing from in part to wholeness, from imperfection to perfection, from childish to adult, from seeing dimly to seeing clearly.
Love is the greatest of three — faith, hope and love— because it is God’s love poured into our heart, whereas faith and hope are our response to what God has first done. In this context we understand love as spiritual gift, a manifestation of the Holy Spirit.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.