- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read 2 Corinthians 11
Confrontation of the super-apostles.
Apostle Paul wrote strong appeal to Corinthian congregation against false apostles whom he named them, “super-apostles.” And he concerned the Corinthian congregation were being deceived by them. Who were they?
They were trained speakers, eloquent in speaking and writing, but they were false in their preaching and teaching of Christ and gospel, different from Apostle Paul’s. He called them disguising apostle of Christ, having not manifested the same as Apostle Paul, had but seeking to force him through their criticisms.
We may think from the passage that they were well learned Jewish believers among Corinthian church or from outside, because Apostle Paul challenged them in v.22-33. Apostle Paul was born Hebrew of Hebrews, well educated in the law of God.
As his defense against his opponents, Apostle Paul wrote what he was boasting about even it looked fool to others, about his self- confidence. It was his weakness for Christ, his suffering that he participated in the suffering of Christ. In his letter to Corinthian, he put it this way,
“I came to you in weakness with great fear and trembling. 4 My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power, 5 so that your faith might not rest on human wisdom, but on God’s power.” (1 Corinthians 2:3)
He appealed Corinthians congregation to follow the power of the Holy Spirit. He witnessed the power of suffering, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ, embodied in his life, and in his ministry.
“I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his suffering, becoming like him in his death.” (Philippians 3:10).
His boasting of his weakness and suffering was his boasting of the power of Christ working through him.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.