- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Ephesian 4
Unity in Christ.
Unity in Christ is overarching message of the book of Ephesians. In chapter 4, Apostle Paul wrote deep meaning of unity in Christ.
What makes churches or Christian believers to be united? First it is to live a life worthy of the calling, being humble, gentile, patient, bearing with one another in love and peace. These life is a foundation of Christian unity.
Then unity is not made by any ideas, philosophy or ideology. Christian unity should be the unity of the faith, seven elements of unity in vv4-6; one body, one Spirit, one hope, one Lord, one faith, one baptism, and one God. Christian unity is possible when we confess the faith of the same God.
Under this unity in Christ, Christians are called to serve, according to unique gifts that God gave to them so as to build up the body of Christ, the church.
The second half of the chapter 4 teaches about sanctified life that Christians are called toward to.
Apostle Paul wrote this letter to Ephesian church in which most of the congregation were Gentile believers. By contrasting the life that they lived before they knew Jesus Christ, he awakened them to put off falsehood life living in hardening of their heart, following sensuality. Sanctified life is new life in words and deeds by the Spirit of God through Jesus Christ.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.