- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Ephesian 6
Full armor of faith.
Apostle Paul described Greco-Roman culture and social system, the role of men and women, slavery, in chapter 5 and 6. It is contextual. His intention was not to advocate or universalize the practices in Greco-Roman world, though it was the context for him to teach.
Apostle Paul didn’t teach to overthrow his contemporary social system and structure or relationship among household. But he taught differently how each relationship should be done as the church, God’s ideal society, was supposed to operate as he wrote it in1 Corinthians 12, using body analogy. Each member has dignity and a role to play for the whole body to live. No one is in control or dominate. Husband should love his wife. Parents must treat their children with dignity. We read his teaching with contextual understanding, and with the message that ban any kind of dehumanizing practice in our context today. All Christians are under Christ’ lordship and are to submit to one another for Christ’s sake.
Battle gear is the image of the full armor of God to fight against spiritual battle. Apostle Paul used ancient Roman soldier armory in battle, armed for attack and for defense. The teaching of this image is for Christians to stand firm in faith.
He was imprisoned in Rome when he wrote the book of Ephesian, his personal letter. He concluded with request for prayer praying himself for strength to preach, with referring Tychicus, his messenger to inform them how he was doing.
The typical concluding remark that Apostle Paul wrote in his letters was blessing, “May peace and grace of Christ be with you.”
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.