- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Colossians 3
“since” or “therefore,” is a connective word to express changed life after one is raised with Jesus Christ, who takes all written code, regulation, deceptive philosophy, basic principles of this world into his Cross (2:6-15). Apostle Paul called for Christians to holy living, changed life that was centered around Jesus Christ. He specified the holy living.
Set one’s heart right in Christ (2-4). He described Christians’ life as hidden with Christ in God, union with Christ. Jesus said, “I in them and you in me.” (John 17:23).
Put to death earthly nature (5-9). Apostle Paul specified word and action following earthly nature, which brought the wrath of God.
Put on new self (10-11) with being renewed knowledge and with the image of God, the creator. There was no difference among Jews or Gentiles.
Clothe with new virtue and love (12-14). This image of clothing described a wholeness of Christian character in words and deed.
Let Christ rule you (15-25). The signs of life that Christ ruled was expressed individually and communally. The peace of Christ ruled the heart and mind and it led to praising and thanksgiving, doing everything in the name of Christ. It ruled communal life, relationship between husband and wife, children and parents, servant and master. All they do they do everything as if doing it to Christ the Lord.
Apostle put all these into this way, “whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men…. Because it is the Lord Christ you are serving.”
He wrote this letter to Colossian Christians context in the second century AD. At the same time, his message speaks to us, modern day Christians: Holy living is Christ centered living, supremacy of Christ above all things.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.