- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read 1 Timothy 5
Advice of caring for God’s family.
In this chapter, Apostle Paul gave instructions to Timothy how to take care of God’s family, widows and older men.
Widows (1-16) —- He instructed Timothy specifically how to care of widows of the church family. Three classes of widows were mentioned; real widows were older women who depended upon the church for support, enrolled widow were Christian workers whose qualifications were detailed, who pledged themselves to the service of Christ, and younger widows were encouraged to remarry. And real widows were not to be treated as burdens but with honor. We read from this letter that church took responsibility of providing welfare for widows. It was like a pastoral manuscript how to help widows case by case.
Elders (17-19) — He gave instructions for elders who were leaders on general and for Timothy personally. These group were both older supervisors and servants of the church who did good work. Honor should be given to them by doubling the material support, quoting Deuteronomy 25:4, “don’t muzzle on an ox while it treads grain,” and Luke 10:7, “workers deserve their pay.”
Discipline (20-24) — He gave instruction how to set up leadership of the church. Laying on of hands might refer to ordination or to the restoration of penitents after discipline. He also instructed Timothy to self-care in medical issue.
What do we read the message for today from this chapter? It is contextual in that the social welfare system is different between in the first century and in the present times. However, the mission of the faith community is the same, “take care of brothers and sisters in faith.”
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.