- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Titus 1
Sent to Cretaan
The book of Titus is one of Apostle Paul’s personal and pastoral letter along with 1,2 Timothy, Philemon. Titus was a gentile Christian, a Greek (Galatians 2:1, 3), and a member of Paul’s missionary team. Apostle Paul sent him to Corinth during a tense and difficult time in Corinthian church (2 Corinthians 7:6-7, 13-16, 12:12-18, 8:6-7, 16-21). Titus was an important participant in Paul’s ministry during his third missionary journey.
This letter was sent to Titus in Crete, an island just south of the Aegean Sea, to deal with opposition that included Jewish myths, genealogies, fights about the law, and exploitation for money. The purpose of this letter was to commission Titus for those tasks, and to give him instructions including need for Christian community to do good, respectful behavior among believers toward each other as well as outsiders, such behavior contrasts with the reputation of the people of Crete and with the behavior of Paul’s opponents (1:10-16).
Important theme includes church organization and roles, the correction of problems in Crete, and summaries of Christian teaching.
Greetings (1-4) — God’s elect is chosen people, meaning the church. Paul stressed God’s initiative and sovereignty of faith which was promised ages ago.
Titus’ task on Crete (5-16) – Paul exhorted Titus to do church administration to set up church leadership to correct false teachings. Circumcision group was Judaizes who claimed that Christians were subject to the law of Moses and Jewish traditions. “Cretans are always liars……”(v13) was a quote from the Cretan poet Epimenides, an ancient parlance “To Cretanize.” Paul wrote it was to be a liar.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.