- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Hebrew 5
Jesus, the great High Priest.
High priests in the Old Testament were selected among men. Their role was representing people to God by offering sacrifices for sins of people and of their own. They were the descendants of Aaron, Moses’ brother, appointed by the law.
Jesus is the great High Priest, sent by God, by the order of Melchizedek, not by the order of Aaron nor by the order of the law. Melchizedek was a king of Salem, priest of God. (Genesis 14:18).
Both high priests in the Old Testament and the great High Priest, Jesus, has in common in their roles, intercessory role, offering sacrifice for sins. But Jesus is greater high priest, following the order of Melchizedek.
But this truth is too hard to understand for some people. The writer of Hebrews exhorted the readers to grow into mature faith.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.