- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Hebrew 8
Jesus, the High Priest of the new sanctuary by the new Covenant.
Chapter 8 continues to say about Jesus as the greater High Priest.
Every high priest in the Old testament were elected by the order of Aaron and his descendent, and priest among the Levitical line. They served in the tabernacle that was made by the old covenant of Moses’ law, and it was made by man.
God gave new covenant and prophet Jeremiah had already prophesied (Jeremiah 31:31-34),
“This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel after that time, declares the Lord, I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts. I will be their God and they will be my people.”
The old covenant, therefore, was incomplete. The High Priests elected by the order of Aaron and priests who were appointed by Levitical order, from the descendants of Levi, served in the earthly tabernacle which was a copy of heavenly tabernacle.
Jesus is the High Priest by the oath of God, serve in the heavenly tabernacle by the new covenant. He is the greater High Priest for us.
“The ministry Jesus has received is as superior to theirs as the covenant of which he is mediator is superior to the old one, and it is founded on better promises.” (v6)
Jesus has made the first, the old one obsolete, and it will soon disappear. The point the writer of the Hebrews is this, “therefore, stand firm in the faith of Jesus Christ. Do not return to your old way.”
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.