- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Hebrew 9
Worship in earthly tabernacle and in heavenly Tabernacle.
Earthly tabernacle was built by old covenant. The writer of the Hebrews expands on the nature and function of the system of atonement in the former age by the old covenant. The old covenant in Hebrews was the arrangement God made with Israel involving sacrifices in order to help them picture what God was eventually going to do through Christ. This earthly tabernacle was a copy of the heavenly tabernacle which was built by new covenant. In the new covenant God has spoken to us in a singular way, through Christ Jesus, God’s Son.
Priests and High Priest in the old covenant went into the tabernacle and only High Priest went into the Holy of Holies once a year where the ark of covenant was placed for the atonement of the sins of the people. But greater High Priest, Jesus Christ, went into once for all.
Animal sacrifice was required for atonement in the old covenant. But Jesus gave himself a sacrificial offering, his own sacrificial blood, effectiveness of his own offering over and against the old covenant sacrifices. His was as much a spiritual sacrifice as one of flesh and blood.
The sacrifice of Jesus was the equivalent of all the sacrifices of the old covenant.
The earthly priests and High Priests had their own sin. But Jesus, the greater High Priest was without sin.
Eternal redemption will be when Jesus comes again. He will save those in his household from God’s judgement on the world.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.