- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Hebrew 12
Fix our eyes on Jesus.
In chapter 11, the writer of Hebrews made a description of faith and set an example of those who lived their faith, in chapter 12 he wrote about how to live the faith in life
Mature (1-13) —- surrounded by the cloud of witnesses of faith throughout the history of Christianity, we are called to mature in faith by fixing our eyes on Jesus who is the model of faith.
Discipline (14-17) —- live in peace and purity is the sign of living faith. “blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God. Blessed are the peace makers for they will be called sons of God.” (Matthew 5:8-9)
Live to be worthy of faith (18-29) — two covenants were contrasted, Mt Sinai covenant, old covenant, and Mt Zion covenant, new covenant. The former was given through Moses in fear and trembling (Exodus 19:12-22, 20:18-21). The latter was given through Jesus and by his blood. We are called to live by the new covenant, living with thankfulness and worshipping God in awe. “God is a consuming fire” is a quote from Deuteronomy 4:24, 9:3, expressing God’s judgement. All created things are perishable, consumed by God’s fire, but the kingdom of God cannot be shaken and will endure forever.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.