- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read 1 Peter 2
Living holy life.
Jesus, the Living Stone (1-12) —-The foundation upon which we are called to live holy life is Jesus Christ, the Living Stone (v.4). The image of the Living Stone reminded Peter of Jesus’ saying to him at Caesarea Philippi (Matthew 16). When Jesus asked,” who do you say I am,” Peter answered, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” Jesus said, “You are Peter, meaning rock, on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.”
Jesus Christ is the rock of destiny (6-8). To those who believe him, they are chosen and precious, to those who reject Christ, however, Christ is a rock that makes them fall. Peter quoted Old Testament, Isiah 8:14; 28:16, Psalm 118:22 to explain who Jesus is, and Peter called the readers with new identity that was given through Jesus Christ, “a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God.” (v9).
Holy life (13-25) — The letter shifts to focus attention on the relationship of believers to society, household code that exhort to submit to the state. Second household code addressed to household slaves. Their submission comes from their awareness of God (1 Peter 2:19), from Christ’ example. By quoting Isaiah 53:4-9, the image of suffering servant, Peter points it to Jesus who embodied Isaiah’s image of the servant of God who wrongly suffered.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.