- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read 2 Peter 2
Peter predicted the coming of false teaching to the churches, as there always had been in the past. He described the false teacher as the ones who taught destructive opinions, denying the sovereignty of Jesus Christ, following their desire and greed.
Peter attacked false teachers bringing how God judged severely the wicked in the Old Testament— fallen angels who used God given freedom wickedly, flood judgement in times of Noah, Balaam who cursed Israel people in the desert and destroyed by God—. They followed lustful desire of sinful human nature.
Peter warned Christians strongly not to follow the false teachers by saying that once they knew Jesus Christ and were cleansed from the corruption of the world, but returned to their previous life style, they were worse off at the end than their beginning. Peter cited two proverbs to show the awful situation of the false teachers using pig and dog. Pig and dog were despised animals in his time because of their filthiness.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.