- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read 1 John 2
Apostle John write various topics regarding Christian faith and life.
Christ our advocate (1-6)—Jesus Christ is an advocate who intercedes with God on our behalf. And he is atoning sacrifice. He speaks to the Father in our defense. Jesus Christ made atoning sacrifice for our sins. To know God and to be in God means to be in a right relationship with God, which leads to obedient life.
New Commandment (7-17) — John recollected Jesus’ teaching on new commandment in John 13:34, “A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” This new command is for all age group of people to live with, Christians of various levels of maturity. “love the world,” (15) is to love the realm of evil and temporary things.
Antichrist (18-29) — Anyone who deny that Jesus is Christ is antichrist. They deny that Jesus is the Christ incarnate in flesh. “those who are trying to lead you to astray,” (26) refers to the misleading beliefs of the antichrist. But Christians are anointed by the truth. Since they are protected by anointing, they should not doubt their beliefs.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.