- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read 1 John 4
The song of God’s love.
Testing the Spirits (1-6) — John warns readers not to believe every spirit, but to test the spirits. At his time there was a false teaching about Jesus which denied Jesus Christ’s humanity, such as Gnosticism. The Spirit of God is not of the world and God’s spirit always affirms the humanity of Christ while antichrist denies it.
God is love (7-12) — The character of God is love. The very nature of God is love. God’s love is sacrificial love that God sent one and only Son Jesus into the world as atoning (at- oneness) sacrifice so that we might live through Jesus Christ. As God loved us first, we are to love one another. Whoever lives in love lives in God and God in him/her.
We see God when we love one another (13-21) — When we love one another we know that God lives in us because God is love. And when we love one another, God’s love is perfected in us. There is no fear in love but perfected love in us drives out fear. God’s love compels us to love our brothers and sisters , therefore we know God’s commands: whoever loves God must also love his brother and sisters.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.