- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Revelation 1
One of the books of the Bible in Apocalyptic form, meaning an unveiling or unfolding of things. It contains vision, symbols and numbers, apocalyptic figure, and they have been interpreted diversely.
The author of the book is John, exiled to the rocky island of Patmos during the reign of Roman Emperor Domitian (81-96 AD). He wore the book in a form of personal letter to seven churches in Asia Minor.
The grand theme of the book is the hope of God’s triumph over evil, full divine consummation, and this book has inspired countless poets, hymn writers, artists and ordinary both Christians and non- Christians through the ages.
Prologue (1-3) — it begins with the character of the book, the revelation of Jesus Christ, with the purpose of the book to witness the testimony of Jesus Christ, and with the expectation of the reading this book, blessing and a sense of urgency, “the time is near.” (3)
Greetings and Doxology (4-8) — John sent greetings to seven representative churches in the Roman province of Asia Minor. The number seven suggests the idea of completeness and totality. Seven spirits refer to the manifold of the Spirit of God. Alpha and Omega is the first and the last letters of Greek alphabet, like A to Z in English. It is a symbol of the beginning and end of all things.
Preparatory vision (9-20) — At Patmos, John saw vision and heard a voice on the Lord’s Day. Seven candles refer to seven churches. Seven stars refer to angels of God, assigned to each seven churches. His vision was a terrifying majesty of divine realm and Jesus Christ.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.