- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Revelation 2
Chapter 2 is the letters to four churches, concerning their commendation or condemnation, admonition, with promise and exhortation to the faithful.
To the church in Ephesus (1-7) – Ephesus was the most important city of the province of Roman Empire. “Seven stars,” in his right hand and walks among the seven golden lampstands,” are description of divine watch and walk in the life of church. Forsaken their first love and followed the Nicolaitans was the condemnation toward the church. The Nicolaitans were Christian false sect teaching that Christians were free to eat food offered to idols and to practice immorality in the name of religion.
To the church in Smyrna (8-11) — Perseverance amid tribulation and poverty was the commendation to this church. “Do not be afraid of what you will suffer persecution,” was exhortation. “ten days,” is a symbolic figure meaning of the time of persecution, rather than literal period of time.
To the church in Pergamum (12-17 — Pergamum was the center of idolatrous worship. Balaam was a false leader who misled the people of Israel in the wilderness to sin (Numbers 25). “Repent,” was the exhortation for this church.
To the church in Thyatira (18-29) — Good deeds, love and faith, service, and perseverance with willing to do more, are commendation for this church. Thyatira was a commercial center renowned for its many trade, which periodically sponsored idolatrous feasts. Jezebel was the wife of king Ahab in northern Israel (1 Kings 16). She brought foreign idols to Israel and the whole nation fell into sin. Her name was mentioned to describe wickedness and idolatry the church was involved. God’s judgement and God’s promise is the teaching for this church.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.