- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Revelation 3
Chapter 3 contains the message to three churches in Sardis, Philadelphia, and Laodicea.
“I know your deeds,” is repeated phrases to each church. All churches in Asia Minor were exposed to materialism, persecution by Roman emperor, and idolatry culturally.
To the church in Sardis (1-6) — The church in Sardis was notorious for its luxury and licentiousness. The church was known as alive and busy with many doings but it was actually dead because of no spirit of God in them. “Purify” was the exhortation to this church. There were few among them who remained spiritual purity. “Book of life,” is the register of God containing the names of the redeemed.
To the church in Philadelphia (7-13) — Philadelphia was a small town in Lydia in Asia Minor. It had been a prosperous city and a center of Greek culture, but it suffered from considerable destruction from earthquake in the first century. The Philadelphian church was feeble but God commended the church, “you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name,” (8). “the key of David,” is the symbol of authority and “an open door,” is an opportunity.
To the church in Laodicea (14-22) — Laodicea was a proud and wealthy city near Colossae, flourishing in commercial and banking, producing clothing and carpets, having medical school. However, the church in Laodicea was lukewarm church. They were spiritually poverty-stricken with complacent and self-satisfied. “rebuke and discipline,” was God’s love for this church so that they could be renewed. “stand at the door,” (20) is an invitation to share the joys of messianic banquet in the coming age.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.