- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence. The
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Revelation 8
The opening of the seventh seal results in silence (pause in heavenly worship), followed by seven trumpets by seven angels. According to Jewish tradition they are seven archangels of God—Michael, Gabriel, Raphael, Uriel, Raguel, Sariel, and Remiel.
“smoke of incense with the prayer of all the saints,” is offered to God and God answered their prayer by casting down fire on earth. It indicates the sound of seven trumpets, God’s judgement upon the wicked.
When each trumpets blows, plague follows. The plague that accompany the blowing of the first four trumpets are like the plagues of the exodus story: hail, fire mixed with blood, sea turning to blood, rivers and springs becoming bitter. (Exodus7:14-25), and darkness in the sky and on earth (Exodus 10:21-23). These plagues demonstrate God’s supreme authority.
“Woe, Woe, Woe,” indicate the coming of the rest of three trumpets blowing with terrible things to come.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.