- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence. The
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Revelation 13
One of the symbolic pictures in the book of Revelation is the beast to describe the forces who oppose the followers of God. Two beasts in chapter 13 represent actual forces at that time as well as to describe the persecution at the last time.
The beast from the sea having ten horns, seven heads, and ten crowns with blasphemous name is linked to Roman Empire which was the embodiment of evil and the power of evil for Christians at that time. Persecution against Christians was rampant under Roman Empire.
The beast from the earth represents deceiver that makes everyone on earth to worship the first beast, Roman Empire. The beast’s deception raises the level of fear that Christians, faithful people experienced. Toward the end of the book of Revelation, this beast is destroyed totally.
The mark of the beast represents the power of beast. Marking on the body especially on forehead was commonplace in the first century, showing certain family or group, much like a license to conduct business today. Without this mark people were forced to inconvenience, extreme expense, even to difficulty. Roman used the mark to keep people under control.
The number 666 represent Emperor Nero, a notorious emperor of Roman in the first century. “Nero Caesar” translated into Hebrew language is the value for 666, which is the symbol of all evil power that control believers.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.