- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence. The
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Revelation 16
The vision of seven angels with seven bowls is the last sign of God’s judgement.
When each angel pours the bowl, the wrath of God is poured on the land and on the people who have mark of the beast and worshipped his image.
God’s judgement with wrath is reminded of God’s judgement in the land of Egypt (Exodus 7-11), with ten plagues; blood, frogs, gnats, flies, death of livestock, boils, hail, locusts, darkness, death of firstborns. As they were the final judgement of God before Exodus, the story of victory, new life, freedom, new people, etc., had happened, so the seven bowls are God’s final wrath against the beast, the power of evil, before God brings victory.
Three evil spirits, looks like frogs coming out of dragon, beast, and false prophets, are symbol of collective evil for final battle at Armageddon. Another name of Armageddon is Hill of Megiddo, the site of several decisive battles in Israel’s history. The seventh bowl symbolizes God’s final blow, “it is done!” (v.17), splitting great city, Rome, into three. Babylon the Great that destroyed the kingdom of Judah, is a symbol of Roman Empire that persecutes Christians in John’s time.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.