- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence. The
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Revelation 17
The vision of the great prostitute sitting on many waters, and the beast explains God’s just punishment of Rome and Emperor.
The great prostitute is Rome that led people astray by idol worship and extreme wealth. The word “water,” is the symbol of peoples and nations that are subjected to Rome. Seven hills are where the city of Rome was built. Purple scarlet is the dress of royalty meaning Roman power that persecuted people.
The name Babylon is recalling name that the people of Israel was exiled to Babylon at 580BC. The memory of Babylon and their exile remained as a symbol of all that was evil and oppressive. Because of this memory Babylon become another symbol of Rome in the book of Revelation.
The vision of allied kings making a war against the Lamb symbolizes Roman power persecuting Christian. But the Lamb, Jesus Christ, overcome them, final victory of God. It is a revelation of the demonic forces that are at work in history, John’s time and future, and of God’s act of salvation in Christ Jesus.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.