- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence. The
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Revelation 18
Chapter 18 describes the destruction of Babylon the Great. In the book of Revelation, the Babylon has been known as the power of evil that persecutes the first century Christians, and all evil power that tries to destroy people of God. The vision in the chapter 18 continues the theme of God’s just punishment of Rome.
The fall of Babylon results from the judgement of God (v.8), and results in weeping and mourning of the wicked and their followers, lamentation of those who have been enriched by the wicked city – kings, merchants, and mariners (v.9-19). It was the total destruction of the city.
But the righteous and those who endured the persecution sing the song of joy (20-24). They are prophets, and saints who have been killed on the earth.
The vision in Chapter 18 opens the concluding phase of God’s judgement over the evil power and the beginning phase of God’s new creation.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.