- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence. The
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Revelation 20
The binding of Satan and the reign of the Martyrs (1-6)
The fourth vision is an angel with key and holding great chain, and seized the dragon and serpent, the devil, Satan for thousand years. The fifth vision is the throne of judgement with martyred coming to life to rule with Christ for a thousand years. It is the first resurrection.
The loosing of Satan and the final conflict (7-10)
After thousand years, Satan is released from the prison and will go out to deceive the nation. But fire come down from heaven and devour them with the devil thrown into the lake of burning sulfur with the beast and the false prophets.
Final Judgement (11-15)
The sixth vision is of the final judgement for the dead standing the throne before the book of life. They were judged. If anyone’s name was not found in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire, which is the second death.
The thousand –year period is called the millennium, meaning a period of a thousand years. In apocalyptic writings, numbers always have deeper symbolic significance. It is likely that John, the writer of Revelation used a thousand year as symbol of completion rather than literal time period of 1,000 years. Multiples of ten (100, 1,000 and on) symbolize completeness and inclusiveness.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.