- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Matthew 3
Jesus, the Son of God.
Two episodes in chapter three confirmed who Jesus is, his identity and his relationship to God.
Activity of John the Baptist (1-12) — John the Baptist resembles Old Testament prophet Elijah who reformed the faith of his nation. He was understood to fulfill the prophesy in Isaiah 40:3, and Malachi 3:1, “I will send my messenger, who will prepare the way before me. Then suddenly the Lord you are seeking will come to his temple; massager of the covenant, whom you desire, will come, says the Lord Almighty.”
Baptism of Jesus (13-17) — Jesus recognized John’s authority and identified himself with those who responded in faith to John’s call to baptize. John also recognized who Jesus was (v.14). Both fulfilled the righteousness of God. The identity of Jesus is revealed after his baptism, which confirms who Jesus is, “This is my Son, whom I love with him,” and his relationship to God,” I am well pleased.”
Jesus is the Son of God.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.