- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Matthew 7
Conclusion of the Sermon on the Mount.
Chapter 7 is the conclusion of Jesus own saying on the Mount with five teachings; on judging others, ask, the narrow gates, a tree and its fruit, the wise and foolish builders.
“when Jesus finished these sayings,” (v. 28) — this or similar formula marks the conclusion of each of the five main teaching of Jesus in the book of Matthew.
“After Jesus had finished instructing this twelve disciples,” (11:1)
“when Jesus had finished these parables, (13:53)
“when Jesus had finished saying these things,” (19:1)
“When Jesus had finished saying all these things” (26:1)
Some biblical scholars say about this pattern as Matthew’s intention to teach Jewish people who Jesus was, using well-known historical figure, Moses. Like Moses’ five books in the Old Testament, Matthew made five sections of Jesus’ teaching in his gospel.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.