- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Matthew 8
Healing ministry as the revelation of Lordship of Jesus.
Matthew records Jesus’ healing ministry to reveal who he is and why he was sent by God.
The man with leprosy (1-4) – Leprosy was skin disease, socially isolated from the public. Jesus’ healing the man shows that Jesus is the Son of God who has authority to heal by word. “show yourself to the priest and offer gift Moses commanded,” (v4) indicates that Matthew saw Jesus respecting Jewish cleaning law and process.
The faith of the Centurion (5-13)—a Centurion was a non-Jewish military officer. Healing of his servant by the faith of the centurion reveals that Jesus is the Lord of all beyond the racial, cultural, and social boundary.
Jesus heals many (14-17) – Jesus’ healing ministry is the fulfillment of prophesy by the prophet in the Old Testament. To Matthew, Jesus was the long waited Messiah whom prophet Isaiah spoke about.
The cost of following Jesus (18-22) — People saw Jesus healing the sick, and some of them said they would follow him. But Jesus told them about the cost of following him. He challenged them to set the priority if they would follow him.
Jesus calms the storm (23-27) — “what kind of man is this?” (v.27) is a revealing question asked by disciples. It shows that Jesus is the Lord over nature.
The healing of demon-possessed men (28-34) — Jesus overcomes demonic forces. Even demons recognize Jesus as Son of God. Matthew shows that Jesus, the Son of God who overpowers demonic power. Jewish regarded pig as unclean. Jesus transforms the men’s life by casting the demons into the pigs. But his healing them disrupted the town’s social and economic arrangements, so they ask him to leave. Matthew saw that Jesus, Son of God who healed the sick was not always welcomed by people, indicating the suffering of the Messiah.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.